drm / drm2 removal in 12

From: Oliver Pinter <oliver.pinter_at_hardenedbsd.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 14:12:20 +0200
On Sunday, August 26, 2018, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 4:32 PM Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On 8/26/18 3:20 AM, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> > > Have you or anyone working on this drm-legacy-kmod stuff done any
> > testings
> > > of how this will affect current users?
> >
> > Hi Blubee,
> >
> > Are you here to try to stir a conflict?
> > If so that is not appreciated.
> >
> > --HPS
> >
> Hans, you of all people should know that's not true.
>
> I would think that trying to sneak in code during a code freeze that would
> break the release. Forcing the core devs to revert those changes and having
> to dust off old policies to try to keep you guys in check is what's
> stirring up conflicts, but hey; what do I know?

Please use git pull or svn up. They are already reverted and you get back
your old drivers.

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/ae526637c4a79045579abc632ffbfd
b368c66ea8#diff-6ee1ee279be0fe8a84e853198b2b4c43

Please try to learn how to use development tools.

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commits/master/sys/dev/drm2

I think the latest binary snapshot from 12.0-ALPHA3 contains the old state
of code if not, next should be.

> It's really sad state when capable engineers are so obsessed with something
> that they cannot see the forest for the trees. Try to step away from the
> canvas and look at the big picture.

Let's do some more step backwards, and see how the graphics driver
developments works from the corporation side.
They not bother about any of the BSDs, they focus only to Windows and
Linux. If you want to use a recent (haha recent, something after  2014) you
are forced to use new drivers from linux.
The fore/advantage on the Linux side are the zillions of corporately paid
kernel developers.
They can just focus on a new hw supports, on freebsd side, there are no
corporately paid drm driver developer. Sadly.
In linux word their internal KPI (try a Google for a "stable API nonsense"
words) moves so fastly, that porting of these drivers gets non trivial
without a dedicated paid team.

If you want to change on this situation, try to learn for you could help or
send directed donations to freebsd foundation. ;)

> If you don't mind me asking, Hans care to answer these questions below?
> 1) Take a [test] system with the current graphics stack installed and
> working.
> 2) Apply your patches to remove the drm from base to create a port
> 3) update the working [test] system after applying your changes

With the latest 12, nothing special. Only a deprecation notice gets
printed, once the driver is loaded.