Re: drm / drm2 removal in 12

From: Michelle Sullivan <michelle_at_sorbs.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 12:47:03 +1000
blubee blubeeme wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 10:04 AM Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 07:07:24AM +0800, blubee blubeeme wrote:
>>> Are these guys insane and please avoid the nonsense about you're doing
>> this
>>> in your spare time.
>> Let us know how whatever OS you wind up using instead works for you.
>> I suggest you look for one that will put up with your constant harangues.
>>
>> There are very few people on the mailing lists as nasty and rude as
>> yourself.  It is tiresome, demotivating, and childish.  Please go
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> mcl
>>
> Your opinion has been noted but this issue isn't about me.
>
> It's about the Graphics devs coding themselves into a corner and looking
> for an easy button so they can continue to feel good about their toy.
>
> There's a reason the changes they tried to force down the FreeBSD source
> tree was reverted; It does not meet any standards of quality.
>
> I have no inside knowledge other than my ability to think clearly and it's
> obvious that The FreeBSD team wanted to hint at them that their code
> doesn't pass the sniff test.
>
> Instead of being whiny brats improve your code and have it work without
> breaking compatibility with what has been working for quite a long time.
>
> Here's the play by play;
> You guys push this mess contaminating the FreeBSD source tree, some long
> standing user tries to update their machines and it blows up;
> 1) Most will just leave
> 2) Some will complain
>     2a) You guys will say; Read UPDATING..... bleh bleh blen
> They'll get aggravated, thereby aggravating people who came to this
> platform for Stability.
>
> Users who actually use FreeBSD to get things done do not time to trawl
> these mailing lists, they have real world problems to solve with real world
> constraints.
>
> There are OS with kqueue and all those things it's called Linux; You can go
> there and play w/ that stuff to your hearts content.
>
> If you want your code to get merged, make sure it follows the guidelines
> and not break the systems for people who are already using the platform.
>
> Now, I understand hearing harsh criticism about your work might hurt your
> feelings and all but here's the antidote;
> work harder,
> improve your code,
> try again when your code quality improves.
>
> You guys cannot expect people to accept these kludges in their systems that
> they run everyday.
>
> It's an open source project, you can't get mad because your code isn't
> accepted, it's your jobs and engineers to do better not expect users to
> jump through hoops to accommodate your subpar attempts at coding.
>
> This isn't about me, it's about the quality of code that you guys are
> trying to submit.

Not much to disagree with what you say here.. because that's why I no
longer work on using FreeBSD instead having created my own fork which is
something I can call stable, that can be patched for security issues and
something that is usable across my environment.

The one thing who you should be aware of and what I do disagree with you
over is who you are speaking to ML is a long standing 'old hat' of
FreeBSD and someone I respect and I know would not be putting 'kludges'
and substandard code into the trees...  Direct your anger elsewhere,
whilst still making valid points.

Regards,

Michelle

--