Re: The future of ZFS in FreeBSD

From: Matthew Ahrens <mahrens_at_delphix.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 10:11:32 -0800
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 8:35 AM Shawn Webb <shawn.webb_at_hardenedbsd.org>
wrote:

> I'm curious what this means for OpenZFS.

OpenZFS will continue to be an umbrella project for coordinating all work
on open-source ZFS.  The primary activities of OpenZFS are the annual OpenZFS
Developer Summit
<http://www.open-zfs.org/wiki/OpenZFS_Developer_Summit_2018> and the
monthly OpenZFS Leadership Meetings
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2jv2XVYFmBVvG1EGf-9A5HBVsjAYoLIFZAnWHhV-BM/edit?ts=5bb3b66c#>
.
There is also an OpenZFS GitHub repo, which has identical code to illumos.
This is used to streamline the process of getting changes into illumos
(removing some of the burden of testing and the illumos RTI process).  This
repo will continue to exist as long as there's need for it and folks able
to keep the automation running.  The naming of this GitHub project was
perhaps unfortunate, since it is specific to illumos and not
platform-agnostic.

 I was under the impression that OpenZFS was the upstream for all the ZFS
> implementations (sans
> Oracle).

Being "upstream" is more a matter of degree than an absolute ordering.  In
the past, most ZFS features have originated in illumos, and those changes
have been ported to the other platforms (notably FreeBSD and ZoL).  Looking
forward, we see more features originating in ZoL.  The OpenZFS community
(including FreeBSD) is working to put in place technical processes to
ensure that new ZFS features are available on all platforms.  The original
post in this thread was a proposal for how to do that.

--matt