Re: workaround for VMware WS NAT bug triggered by OpenSSH 7.8p1 changes

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 00:03:29 -0800
In message <861s681ypd.fsf_at_next.des.no>, =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rg
rav?= w
rites:
> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com> writes:
> > Add it to ssh_config or sshd_config if one must but have VMware fix
> > their bugs. Putting workarounds in our O/S to work around a bug in some
> > other vendor's virtualization is something I don't support.
>
> It's something we do *all the time*.  Otherwise we'd just be a toy OS
> that hobbyists played with in the weekends on an old spare machine they
> keep in a basement closet.

Hmmm. I guess Red Hat Enterprise Linux must be a toy OS then.

> > If we must
> > add the #ifdefs to our ssh, then add an UPDATING entry to say that to
> > enable it put VMWARE_GUEST_WORKAROUND or however we choose to enable it
> > in src.conf.
>
> Then it's useless.

No. We do like Red Hat does. Advise the customer to use a workaround
until the other vendor fixes their code.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>