Re: workaround for VMware WS NAT bug triggered by OpenSSH 7.8p1 changes

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:21:56 +0100
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com> writes:
> I know our code is full of workarounds and theirs probably too. The
> question is should we? IMO no.

Unfortunately, the world is imperfect and does not care about your
opinion.  90% of the hardware we run on deviates from the spec in some
way or another and requires workarounds in the kernel.  We even have a
whole system of quirks for disks and USB devices.  Libfetch contains
workarounds for buggy HTTP servers.  OpenSSH has hundreds of lines of
code devoted to identifying the server and selecting workarounds to
apply.  Without those workarounds, FreeBSD would not be a viable piece
of software.  Wishing they weren't needed is a waste of time and energy.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no