Re: pkg does not recognize correct kernel version

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:45:47 +0200
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 10:57:53AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:19:02 AM Conrad Meyer wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Ronald Klop <ronald-lists_at_klop.ws> wrote:

> > > Which man page? I can't find it in pkg help update or pkg help upgrade or
> > > man pkg.
> >
> > I had to dig for quite a while to find a reference (pkg.conf(5)):
> >
> >      ABI: string      The ABI of the package you want to install.  Default:
> >                       derived from the ABI of the /bin/sh binary.

> > > Does this mean I always have to do a *clean* buildworld after every version
> > > bump? This takes ages.
> >
> > You could also do a -DNO_CLEAN buildworld.
> >
> > Or you can continue to override with "-o OSVERSION=foo", although that
> > may eventually result in broken packages.  In general the OSVERSION is
> > bumped conservatively (more often than will actually result in
> > breakage), so you can get away with the easy workaround for a while
> > between buildworlds.
>
> NO_CLEAN=yes doesn't work.  A clean buildworld is required.  The reason is that
> the __FreeBSD_version embedded in binaries is stored in /usr/lib/crt*.o, but
> that the dependency rules in lib/csu/Makefile do not rebuild these .o files
> everytime <sys/param.h> changes (so a NO_CLEAN=yes buildworld won't rebuild them
> leaving them with a stale version).  Furthermore, when binaries and shared
> libraries are built, our Makefiles do not specify that the relevant
> /usr/lib/crt*.o files are dependencies, so even if we fixed the missing
> <sys/param.h> dependency, no binaries would relink to pick up the updated
> __FreeBSD_version file unless some other input to the binary changed.  This
> one could perhaps be mostly mitigated by forcing libc to depend on the
> relevant crt*.o files explicitly (or even having it depend on <sys/param.h>
> to force relinking of everything when <sys/param.h> changes).
libc already depends on sys/param.h.

I think it would be enough to specify that crt1.o depends on sys/param.h
as well. Although it is also strange, because e.g. for amd64 the dep
thread is csu/amd64/crt1.c->csu/common/crtbrand.c->sys/param.h, which should
be detected by the include file calculation.