Re: Copying to a new computer

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 01:15:19 +0100
_at_lbutlr wrote on 2018/01/16 00:12:
> I am replacing an old machine with a newer machine and I want to be sure I can move the shell users to the new machine, especially since I am mostly going too be setting up the machine as new.
>
> What are the minimal files that I need to copy over so that the users and groups from the old machine are on the new machine and without having to reset all the passwords?
>
> (Most the users are in sql databases, so that's not an issue, but there are a few with shell accounts, those are the ones I'm concerned with.
>
> I was intending to stick with v11.1 at this point.

You can copy these files:

/etc/group
/etc/login.conf
/etc/master.passwd
/etc/passwd

And DB files

/etc/login.conf.db
/etc/pwd.db
/etc/spwd.db

Or you can recreate them with pwd_mkdb and cap_mkdb (see their man pages)

If you installed some shells like bash or zsh for users, then you must
installed them too and verify /etc/shells settings.

Additionally you may need a copy of /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc if
you modified them.

Miroslav Lachman