Re: Periodical interrupt storm when playing game with USB keyboard

From: Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:54:11 +0000
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps_at_selasky.org>
wrote:

> On 01/21/18 23:57, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the further explanation.
>> I curious as to where the problem might be though.. It is the game's
>> binary-only Linux executable (Unreal Engine 2.5), Linux SDL 1.2, or on the
>> FreeBSD side? Haven't experienced anything similar with Quake3...
>> Switching to periodic timer feels like overkill but it does the job as a
>> work around.
>>

> Hi,
>
> It might be simply this, that the wrong clock-type is used when setting up
> absolute timeouts.

Actually I think the same thing happens on the Macbook (with MacOS) which
has a USB internal keyboard.
The Mac binary is probably the same code base as the Linux one. Running
Windows binary with wine does not experience this problem, unfortunately
wine can only launch this game on MacOS, not FreeBSD.

I assume USB can generate higher rate of interrupts than a PS/2 which this
game (*nix version) was probably designed for initially.