Re: [regression] The USB WiFi card stopped working: if_run doesn't create the 'run0' interface any more

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 07:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
> On 07/03/18 18:13, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > Do you get the same failure condition if you use the
> > wpa_supplicant from the base system?
>

> Same failure with the base wpa_supplicant.
>
> Creating wlan0 by hand helps, but this should happen automatically.
> restarting devd service also helps.
>

> I think wlan0 creation happens before wpa_supplicant due to the
> instruction 'wlans_run0="wlan0"'.
>
> Something changed in /etc/network.subr or /etc/rc.d/netif or in devd or
> its configuration.

Devd/devmatch is one of the largest changes recently,
it could be something in that code path.

Do you get the if_run.ko module loaded?  What does kldstat show
immediately after boot and before you try to "fix" anything with
ifconfig.

> It definitely did create the run0 interface before, and now it doesn't.

I wonder if the kernel module is no longer loading...

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org