Re: Unable to UEFI boot 11.2 ISO (latest 12.0 as well)

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 07:35:58 -0700 (PDT)
> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to boot up the amd64 11.2 disk1 ISO as well as the latest amd64 12.0 disk1 ISO (20180628) using UEFI on a Dell PowerEdge R430 by getting this error:
> https://imgur.com/a/Idljfhm
>
> The bootonly ISOs seems to show the same error message.

Are you booting from a USB thumb drive,
an actual CD drive,
or the emulated CD drive from a Dell DRAC?

It appears that you have the boot media in cd1: not cd0:,
I am not sure the code handles this well.

> Changing the server to boot via BIOS loads the setup correctly, however, I want to use UEFI on all our servers, which I have done before.
>
> The 11.1 ISO boots without any trouble at all using both UEFI and BIOS.

Does it show you booted from cd1:?

> I was helped by koobs in #freebsd _at_ Freenode who asked me to send an e-mail this way and linking to these commits as a reference:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13784
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=332416
>
> So far I've tried to UEFI boot the 11.2 ISO and 12.0 ISO with the following Dell PowerEdge models without success:
>
> R440
> R630
> R430
> FC430
> R330
> R620
> R420
> R610

Try the following at the OK prompt:
OK  load cd1:/boot/kernel/kernel
OK  boot

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org