ntpd as ntpd user question

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 09:41:24 -0700
hello - i am testing out the new ntpd that was committed yesterday and
am attempting to run as non-root.  i've created a ntpd user/group, and
verified permissions look good on pertinent directories.  i am running
into an issue with the rc script tho - it's complaining about multiple
pid files being specified?

$ sudo /etc/rc.d/ntpd start
Starting ntpd.
ntpd error:  only one pidfile option allowed
ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.8p11
         [ <server1> ... <serverN> ]
Try 'ntpd --help' for more information.
/etc/rc.d/ntpd: WARNING: failed to start ntpd

has anyone else seen this issue? not sure if this is an issue with my
local config or not, i've read through the rc script and its not obvious
to me yet why it may be getting multiple pid arguments passed.  the only
relevant bit i have set in rc.conf is:

$ grep ntpd /etc/rc.conf
ntpd_enable="YES"

thanks!