Re: ntpd as ntpd user question

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 10:47:35 -0600
On Sat, 2018-07-21 at 09:41 -0700, Pete Wright wrote:
> hello - i am testing out the new ntpd that was committed yesterday and
> am attempting to run as non-root.  i've created a ntpd user/group, and
> verified permissions look good on pertinent directories.  i am running
> into an issue with the rc script tho - it's complaining about multiple
> pid files being specified?
>
> $ sudo /etc/rc.d/ntpd start
> Starting ntpd.
> ntpd error:  only one pidfile option allowed
> ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.8p11
> Usage:  ntpd [ - [] | --[{=| }] ]... \
>          [  ...  ]
> Try 'ntpd --help' for more information.
> /etc/rc.d/ntpd: WARNING: failed to start ntpd
>

> has anyone else seen this issue? not sure if this is an issue with my
> local config or not, i've read through the rc script and its not obvious
> to me yet why it may be getting multiple pid arguments passed.  the only
> relevant bit i have set in rc.conf is:
>
> $ grep ntpd /etc/rc.conf
> ntpd_enable="YES"
>

> thanks!
> -pete

You say you created an ntpd user/group, that seems to imply you didn't
run mergemaster (which would have done that). If that's the case, you
probably also didn't get /etc/defaults/rc.conf updated, so it still has
the old ntpd_flags that includes the pidfile (which is now provided by
the startup script and shouldn't be set in ntpd_flags).

If all of that is the wrong guess, let me know and we'll figure it out.

-- Ian