Re: ntpd as ntpd user question

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 10:11:43 -0700
On 07/21/2018 09:47, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-07-21 at 09:41 -0700, Pete Wright wrote:
>> hello - i am testing out the new ntpd that was committed yesterday and
>> am attempting to run as non-root.  i've created a ntpd user/group, and
>> verified permissions look good on pertinent directories.  i am running
>> into an issue with the rc script tho - it's complaining about multiple
>> pid files being specified?
>>
>> $ sudo /etc/rc.d/ntpd start
>> Starting ntpd.
>> ntpd error:  only one pidfile option allowed
>> ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.8p11
>> Usage:  ntpd [ - [] | --[{=| }] ]... \
>>           [  ...  ]
>> Try 'ntpd --help' for more information.
>> /etc/rc.d/ntpd: WARNING: failed to start ntpd
>>

>> has anyone else seen this issue? not sure if this is an issue with my
>> local config or not, i've read through the rc script and its not obvious
>> to me yet why it may be getting multiple pid arguments passed.  the only
>> relevant bit i have set in rc.conf is:
>>
>> $ grep ntpd /etc/rc.conf
>> ntpd_enable="YES"
>>

>> thanks!
>> -pete
>>
> You say you created an ntpd user/group, that seems to imply you didn't
> run mergemaster (which would have done that). If that's the case, you
> probably also didn't get /etc/defaults/rc.conf updated, so it still has
> the old ntpd_flags that includes the pidfile (which is now provided by
> the startup script and shouldn't be set in ntpd_flags).
>
> If all of that is the wrong guess, let me know and we'll figure it out.

that's Ian - that's most likely it (defaults/rc.conf).  i did run
mergemaster but i suspect i didn't run it correctly b/c it didn't copy
over any files, nor create the ntpd uid/gid.  my buildworld script does
a "mergemaster -m $CHECKOUT -a".  i'll re-read the man page today and
update my scripts accordingly.

thanks again for the bread-crumb!
-pete

--