Re: how do I use the make universe machines?

From: Conrad Meyer <cem_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:19:59 -0700
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 6:12 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_mit.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 12:47:17AM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
>> I've heard mention of "make universe" machines multiple times,
>> but have no idea how to use them?
>> Is there doc on this?
>>
>> Thanks, rick
>> ps: I'll admit I haven't looked at the developer's guide in a long time.
>
> I think https://www.freebsd.org/internal/machines.html sounds like
> the page you're looking for.  (universe is just a top-level make
> target like buildworld, but will take a while on non-beefy
> hardware.)

Hi Rick,

Yep, those are the machines you want.  Note those host names listed
are subdomains below the top-level freebsd.org domain.  All of the
'universeNNa' hostnames are jails on a single, relatively beefy server
running CURRENT, and the 'universeNNb' hostnames are all jails on a
different, relatively beefy server running CURRENT.  SSH credentials
are the same as for freefall.

Conveniently, motd on these machines contains the usual convention for
running the universe target on them:

Hint: env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/scratch/tmp/$USER/obj \
  make -s -j8 __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null tinderbox

I would modify that slightly, replacing -j8 with -j$(sysctl -n
hw.ncpu), in the usual case that no one else is utilizing the machine
at the same time.  -DNO_CLEAN might be quite useful for incremental
polishing work on a patch for any previously failed arches.  The clean
build should finish in under an hour, IIRC.

Best,
Conrad