Re: Current _at_ r335314 not bootable with Geli and ZFS

From: Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 14:22:33 -0400
On 06/19/18 12:09, Allan Jude wrote:

> We tested all of the changes with the setup in tools/boot/rootgen.sh, it
> will be interesting to figure out what went wrong with your setup, and
> add it as a test case to prevent this in the future.
>
> The recent changes are:
>
> r335245 (reading the size of the disk)
> r335254 (reading past the end of the disk)
> r335276 (enable the serial console sooner so the password prompt can be
> used over serial)
>
> There is also one outstanding fix: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15847

I don't think that my issue is related to the fix described in the
review.  I am using ~256G SSD's.  They are slightly different sizes but
are both >200M.  I will try backing out the commits starting with
r335276 and work backward from there.  I will review the changes made to
gptzfsboot to get the date that it was last touched.  When I replace
only gptzfsboot with one made 2 weeks ago (r334610) everything boots OK
and I get a password prompt for the geli password.  If the gptzfs
bootcode after r335314 is copied to the boot record, the computer goes
into a continuous reboot loop and only a part of the password prompt is
shown before the reboot.

The filesize on the bad gptzfsboot file is 121922 bytes and the good one
is 121634 bytes.  The filesize on that file has not changed in a few
months.  I keep old versions of this file since imp fixed things for me
a few months ago when he made changes for loader code migration from
Forth that caused a similar issue.

Tom

--
Public Keys: