Re: Current _at_ r335314 not bootable with Geli and ZFS

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 12:09:32 -0400
On 2018-06-18 12:42, Thomas Laus wrote:
> Something changed in /boot/gptzfsboot between r334610 and r335314.  I
> built current this morning and my system is un-bootable.  I am using
> redundant ZFS disks and only copied the updated /boot/gptzfsboot file to
> my ada0 drive.  I was able to boot the ada1 drive that still had the
> gptzfsboot file from r334610.
>
> I had a similar issue a few months ago with the upgrades to the Geli +
> ZFS booting process.  These were resolved and operation has been fine
> since the last 'hick-up' in the testing process.  I might not be the
> only person running the combination of Geli encryption and using a ZFS
> filesystem, but it should not be that much uncommon setup that I am the
> first to report the problem.
>
> Let me know far back I need to revert my sources to identify the commit
> that broke gptzfsboot.  My system goes into a continuous reboot loop
> before presenting the password prompt.  It is very early in the startup
> process.
>
> Tom

We tested all of the changes with the setup in tools/boot/rootgen.sh, it
will be interesting to figure out what went wrong with your setup, and
add it as a test case to prevent this in the future.

The recent changes are:

r335245 (reading the size of the disk)
r335254 (reading past the end of the disk)
r335276 (enable the serial console sooner so the password prompt can be
used over serial)

There is also one outstanding fix: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15847

--
Allan Jude