Re: FreeBSD has a politics problem

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_jroberson.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 11:02:58 -1000 (HST)
Hi John,

First of all this is really not an appropriate forum for this discussion.
It is really unfortunate that these emails were leaked.  However, I think
if you take a careful look at them, you will find a couple examples of
hostility but the great preponderance of them are quite reasonable
discussion.  People are sharing experiences, discussing how cultures other
than western ones may be affected, what abuses have taken place, and what
our aspirations for the project are.  This mostly looks like healthy
debate to me, understanding that the subject matter may create strong
feelings all around.

There is a lot of catastrophizing going on in the dialog, especially that
on third party sites and among non-committers.  I believe in the strength
of the project and its members to avoid these worst case scenarios.  I
believe the vast majority of contributors are incredibly reasonable and
desire a project where they can share their good work and be respected and
respect others.  It is unfortunate that a few have left but that seems
quite rash to me at this stage.

I would urge everyone to be calm and patient.  This is an important dialog
and it's bound to be bumpy.  I also strongly urge people to refrain from
discussing it further on technical lists where it is counter productive
and unwelcome.

Regards,
Jeff