Re: Strange ARC/Swap/CPU on yesterday's -CURRENT

From: Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 17:54:30 -0700
bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net wrote on
Sun Mar 18 21:09:42 UTC 2018 :

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 10:43:58AM -1000, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>
> > Also, if you could try going back to r328953 or r326346 and let me know if
> > the problem exists in either.  That would be very helpful.  If anyone is
>
> Not sure this is relevant, but r326343 is able to run a j4 buildworld
> to completion on an RPi3 with 3 gigs of microSD-based swap. There are
> periods of seeming distress at times (lots of swread, pfault state
> in top along with high %idle) in top, but the compilation completes.
>
> In contrast, r328953 could not complete buildworld using -j4. Buildworld
> would stop, usually reporting c++ killed, apparently for want of swap,
> even though swap usage never exceeded about 30% accoring to top.
>
> The machine employs UFS filesystems, . . .

Sounds like -r326346 would be an interesting kernel to test (the
next check-in on head after -r326343, one of Jeff's check-ins).

-r328953 was just before Jeff's:

Author: jeff
Date: Tue Feb  6 22:10:07 2018
New Revision: 328954

Log:
  Use per-domain locks for vm page queue free.  Move paging control from
  global to per-domain state.  Protect reservations with the free lock
  from the domain that they belong to.  Refactor to make vm domains more
  of a first class object.

So, if -r328953 behaves oddly and -r326343 does not, then the
question is if -r326346 makes the difference: