Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 07:21:06 -0700 (PDT)

> > > RCs.

> > > because the
> > > the USB images.

> > > tries managed to

> > > /boot/loader.conf

> > > releases, play

> > > being

> > > : ID=0xee,
> > > sectors
> > > it is
> > > is my

> > > Today, I tried to eliminate FreeBSD's native KMS drm2 by installing
> > > graphics/drm-stable-kmod (ports tree at revision 471172) on CURRENT
> > > (FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT
> > > #46 r334401: Wed May 30 23:32:45 CEST 2018 amd64, CUSTOM kernel).
> > >
> > > The hardware is a presumably UEFI capable ASROCK Z77-Pro4M (latest
> > > firmware available
> > > from late 2013) equipted with a XEON IvyBridge:
> > >
> > > CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 V2 _at_ 3.40GHz (3400.09-MHz K8-class CPU)
> > >   Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x306a9  Family=0x6  Model=0x3a  Stepping=9
> > >
> > > Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
> > >
> > > Features2=0x7fbae3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
> > >   AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
> > >   AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
> > >   Structured Extended Features=0x281<FSGSBASE,SMEP,ERMS>
> > >   XSAVE Features=0x1<XSAVEOPT>
> > >   VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
> > >   TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
> > > real memory  = 17179869184 (16384 MB)
> > > avail memory = 16295137280 (15540 MB)
> > > Event timer "LAPIC" quality 600
> > > ACPI APIC Table: <ALASKA A M I>
> > > FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
> > >

> > > The box isn't capable of booting FreeBSD in UEFI (while Linux and Windows
> > > seems to work).
> > > So I'm stuck with BIOS.

> > > high-resolution mode
> > > instead of this crap 80x25 ancient console immediately.

> > > in a trap
> > > 12/crash. Very nice for such an old hardware. graphics/drm-next-kmod does
> > > load without
> > > crashing the system - but the console is stuck in the clumsy 80x25 mode.
> > >
> > > So why should I vote for non-working drivers to replace perfectly working
> > > ones?
> > >
> > > oh
> > >

> > We're not replacing anything. We are moving the older drm1 and drm2 from
> > kernel to ports to make it easier for the majority of the users to load the
> > correct driver without conflicts.
> You do understand that you increase your maintainence load by this move.
> dev/drm and dev/drm2 use KPIs which cannot be kept stable even in stable
> branches, so you will need to chase these updates.

This is my major concern with any discussion of drm that lives
outside of base.  I am actually pretty amazed that kmod-next
works as often as it does.

I do remeber for a long time this
was a -current only modules, is that still true, or can I
load it on 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2Beta3 now?

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org