Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 10:23:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 31 May 2018, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 08:34:44AM +0100, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
>
>> We're not replacing anything. We are moving the older drm1 and drm2 from
>> kernel to ports to make it easier for the majority of the users to load the
>> correct driver without conflicts.
>
> You do understand that you increase your maintainence load by this move.
> dev/drm and dev/drm2 use KPIs which cannot be kept stable even in stable
> branches, so you will need to chase these updates.

I agree.  One argument previously made was that it's easier
to maintain in ports.  One data point from me - I rarely
update my ports, I update my OS much more frequently.  In
fact, some times my ports get so out of date I just
(take off and) nuke /usr/local (from orbit, it's the only
way to be sure).

Also, are we trying to solve a problem by moving drm[2] to
ports that won't be a problem when base is pkg'ized?  If
drm[2] is a package unto itself, then you don't have this
problem of ports conflicting with it, at least not so
much.  You can either not install the base drm[2] package
or deinstall it to make way for a conflicting port.  Once
drm[2] is pkg rm'd, it's not going to be reinstalled
again when you update the base OS.

And don't we have the same problem with sendmail and a
few other base services?

--
DE