Re: UEFI: How to go about updating the ESP with loader.efi during installworld

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 16:25:26 -0500
On 2018-11-04 16:20, Rebecca Cran wrote:
> I'm currently working on creating and updating the ESP (EFI System Partition)
> for UEFI booting during installation and installworld.
>
> During installation, with my changes it gets mounted on /boot/efi and loader.efi
> copied into /boot/efi/EFI/FreeBSD and /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT. An entry gets added to
> /etc/fstab as noauto.
>
> The issue comes during installworld, where we'll need to update the loader,
> and I'm not sure how we should handle that.
> If NO_ROOT isn't defined, do we just "mount /boot/efi", overwrite the files then
> unmount it? What should we do if NO_ROOT _is_ defined?

Previous to now, installworld has not updated the boot blocks. You've
had to manually run 'gpart bootcode' to change the boot blocks.

However, those boot blocks mostly just loaded /boot/loader, which was
updated by installworld.

So I can see how this is not directly analogous.

I wouldn't depend on the /etc/fstab entry existing. I am not sure I want
installworld randomly fobbing around in my EFI partition. Especially if,
for example, my EFI/BOOT is not FreeBSD, but rEFInd or something.

--
Allan Jude