Re: 13.0 failing to boot multiuser on one PC due to system utilities crashing during rc scipt

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:10:12 +0100
On 11/11/18 00:07, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 05:27:09PM +0100, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> On 10/11/18 13:08, Guido Falsi wrote:
>>> I'll to bisect things, but it will be a slow process.
>>
>> I narrowed it down to r339895.
> I somehow doubt that this is the case.

I did not mean to accuse you. Instead thanks for this reply and the
suggestions. Really appreciated.

I simply found out that removing that commit from my sources gives me a
stable system and reported such finding.

I understand that the actual cause could be an interaction with other
code and am ready to review my findings.

> If you take post-r339895 kernel and start e.g. 11.2-RELEASE userspace
> (untar the installation into jail to avoid reinstallation), does it
> still demonstrate the behaviour ?
>
> Also try to run pre-r339895 with the 12.0 userspace from e.g. 12.0-BETA4
> builds.

I'll perform such tests. Please allow me some time to report back what I
get.

>> My impression is that the other conditions not moved inside the ifunc
>> also play a role so such optimization is not possible on all systems.
>>

>>> I have put dmesg and pciconf output here in case it could be useful:
>>>
>>> https://people.freebsd.org/~madpilot/boot_fail/
> This is haswell, right ?  It is exactly the same micro-arch as the machine
> where I tested this series of changes.

According to Intel website and Wikipedia this is an Ivy Bridge:

https://ark.intel.com/products/65509

I don't know if this makes any difference at all, though.

--
Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>