Re: Graphics open-source-friendliness, AMD Ryzen vs. Intel

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:49:43 -0500
>> On Nov 11, 2018, at 9:03 PM, Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 4:48 PM Johannes Lundberg <johalun0_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (with Vega graphics) and it panics all the time
>> with references to various memory access errors (use after free among
>> other).
>>
>> Ubuntu is also unstable on this machine but Windows 10 works well after a
>> windows update (I had to reinstall the previous motherboard with older cpu
>> to be able to run Windows update without crash...)
>>
>> From my experience, stay away from this CPU.
> To put this a little into perspective: the R3 2200G is part of the
> most recent AMD APU generation and contains the most recent Vega
> graphics IP ("Vega 8"). It was officially released only in February of
> this year. The most recent DRM in ports is 4.16, which itself was
> released only in April. Problems with the 2200G on "older" Linux
> releases are unfortunately well known. However, kernel 4.18 with
> latest firmwares and BIOSs is documented to be stable on this platform
> (see phoronix, Ubuntu 18.10 "benchmark").
>
> Johannes

Even the 2400G (Ryzen 5) released around the same time as the 2200G is extremely stable for me (13-current), except for DRM (for which I have to use the VESA radeonkms driver as the amdgpu doesn't yet seem to support the 2400G graphics).  I've done several buildworlds and more than a few poudriere runs building 1100+ ports, it never seems to break a sweat, the CPU and heat sink are still cool to the touch.

--
DE