Re: GNU binutils 2.17.50 retirement planning

From: Charlie Li <ml_at_vishwin.info>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 17:24:08 -0500
On 23/11/2018 11:23, Ed Maste wrote:
> Retiring GNU as requires further investigation and effort as we have
> some assembly files (for amd64 at least) which cannot be assembled by
> Clang's integrated assembler. If Clang gains support for the required
> functionality we'll switch to using IAS for all assembly files, and if
> not we could rewrite the few assembly files to work with IAS.

I've been using the port binutils as for quite some time on amd64 (with
WITHOUT_BINUTILS and WITHOUT_BINUTILS_BOOTSTRAP) with success by
specifying XAS, although some Makefile logic in stand/i386/btx specify a
hard-coded /usr/bin/as without bootstrapped binutils, necessitating a
symlink. I temporarily re-enabled binutils bootstrap in trying to figure
out the r339898 regression with retpoline, so things may have changed in
light of r340681.

If it is true that the only assembly files that clang IAS cannot
assemble are for amd64 and i386, has there been any research into nasm
and yasm at least? nasm is specified as a build dependency in certain
multimedia/ ports, and yasm in gecko_at_, for amd64 and i386 assembly code.
Both are licensed under some BSD licence variant.

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…