Re: GNU binutils 2.17.50 retirement planning

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 10:52:18 -0500
On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 at 17:24, Charlie Li <ml_at_vishwin.info> wrote:

> some Makefile logic in stand/i386/btx specify a
> hard-coded /usr/bin/as without bootstrapped binutils, necessitating a
> symlink.

Which logic specifically? I can't seem to find it.

> If it is true that the only assembly files that clang IAS cannot
> assemble are for amd64 and i386, has there been any research into nasm
> and yasm at least? nasm is specified as a build dependency in certain
> multimedia/ ports, and yasm in gecko_at_, for amd64 and i386 assembly code.
> Both are licensed under some BSD licence variant.

The most significant issue is
sys/crypto/skein/amd64/skein_block_asm.s, and it makes extensive use
of GNU macro extensions. I have looked at nasm and yasm but believe
the macro extension support in those is less developed than in Clang's
IAS.

There are a number of files in stand/ tagged with CLANG_NO_IAS, in
gptzfsboot, cdboot, zfsboot, boot2, and pxeldr. These could likely be
removed now (they were added because Clang IAS did not support .codeNN
long ago), but they need to be tested first because the generated
output is slightly different.