Re: Radeon HD 7570M: drm: deep frustration with r339186

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 20:16:00 -0700
On 10/5/18 6:34 PM, Graham Perrin wrote:
> On 23/09/2018 08:09, Graham Perrin wrote:
>
>> Re: Suspend, resume, UEFI, CSM, drm-stable-kmod and drm-next-kmod with Radeon HD 7570M
>> … better without drm-next-kmod; and (as expected, given the package message) drm-stable-kmod has known problems with UEFI.
> Now (with r339186) it seems that drm-next-kmod is the only usable option.
>
> However, I'm sorry to say:
>
> - it does feel regressive, compared to working without drm-next-kmod with earlier versions of -CURRENT.
>
> I can no longer find a way to reliably suspend (sleep) the notebook.

hey Graham - I'm struggling with suspend/resume issues as well on my end
with recent 12-ALPHA releases.  can you verify that you can
suspend/resume without loading the radeonkms.ko (i believe that is what
you are using for gfx)?  on my systems it's broken regardless if i load
the drm modules.

also, what was the last version of CURRENT you were able to
suspend/resume with?

> At the time of writing my part-working configuration is as outlined below.
>
> However – frustratingly – for a while, an hour or so ago, it seemed as if the same configuration was useless; after a point, the screen would go blank (grey) and things would progress no further e.g. no login manager (sddm); no response to Control-Alt-F2; no response to Control-Alt-Delete. The apparent unpredictability leading to a dead-end situation has created a sense of unease; now I'm genuinely afraid to test suspend :-(

i believe johannes lundberg is working on a fix for this issue. i'm in
the same uneasy situation as you.  the system i use for dogfooding is
also my main work laptop, and not having suspend/resume and other
instability like this is certainly not ideal.  one potential fix
workaround we've found is to not load the module via "kld_list" but
rather load it by hand via "kldload" manually.  i believe the bug is in
relation to how the BIOS allocates memory - i'll let him fill in details :)

for me at least it looks like system instability when loading drm-next
kernels is separate from suspend/resume.  but its certainly possible my
laptop is a snowflake :p

hope this helps.

-pete

--