Radeon HD 7570M: drm: deep frustration with r339186

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 06:14:41 +0100

Thanks, I followed threads such as <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-September/071408.html>.

Also followed <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-August/070831.html> for drm / drm2 removal in 12,  so I was prepared for some worsening, but unprepared for the current situation.

> can you verify that you can suspend/resume without loading the radeonkms.ko …

I can not verify, sorry folks.

My sense of things earlier this morning:

- without a load of radeonkms.ko it is impossible to get a (visible, multi-user) command line

– and so, it's impossible to proceed to manually load any additional module.

> what was the last version of CURRENT you were able to suspend/resume with?

r339174, as far as I can tell.

That, with care to use _neither_ drm-stable-kmod _nor_ drm-next_kmod.

> i believe johannes lundberg is working on a fix for this issue.

Hurrah :-)

If it helps to diagnose the underlying cause(s): at one point this morning I'm almost certain that I found myself

- with drm-next-kmod without an installation of drm-kmod

– and I could not understand how that occurred, because a little earlier it seemed that drm-next-kmod depends upon drm-kmod.

----

Installation of drm-stable-kmod requires removal of drm-kmod. True? (I assume that drm-stable-kmod is still unstable with UEFI for my hardware, but I thought it worth trying.)

Thanks, and I might hand around in IRC …