Re: careless commits disrupt

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 07:39:08 +0200
Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com> writes:
> Stefan Esser <se_at_freebsd.org> writes:
> > You should also delete old files:
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > make delete-old
> > make delete-old-libs
> I just ran that. It deleted lots of stuff. & I'd only run it 2 days ago.
> I should have run it just before buildworld though.
> It's not suggested in the top of
>   https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> just at base of page.

That's because you should *never* run delete-old or delete-old-libs from
a source tree that is newer than your installed system.  It may delete
files which have been obsoleted by changes you haven't yet built and
installed, to the point where you may be unable to build and install
those changes.  In this particular case, it will, at the very least,
break ssh and svn / svnlite.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no