Re: ctm(1) deprecation in the FreeBSD base system?

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 22:58:02 +0200
Hi, Reference:

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> > --------
> > In message <201810221957.w9MJvdXx012868_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, "Rodney W. Gri
> > mes" writes:
> >
> > >I do not know that other than I do know that I have seen
> > >one data point in the last 14 days of a user who was infact
> > >using ctm though I can not associate a username/email address
> > >with that memory.
> > >
> > >A search of the last 30 days of _at_freebsd.org public mail
> > >may yield a hit.
> >
> > I think Julian Stacy is still running CTM generation ?
>
> Ah, yes, that brought back enough brain cells,
> confirmed that is who I saw with ctm usage.

Stephen Montgomery generates the CTM deltas, & sends them through
the mailman lists on freebsd.org (which arent listed but are there
as far as I recall) , & as he doesn't have enough space, he also
rsyncs bases & deltas to the ftp repository server I host

Not that many use CTM, perhaps mostly because many have unrestricted
flat rate free bandwidth 24/7, so they can fetch another easier way, &
partly because even where CTM really scores, for those with
intermittent access or expensive data transfer (eg some mobile
tarrifs perhaps), some of those people arent aware of CTM, as we
havent kept up the www.freebsd.org etc docs.

http://ctm.berklix.org

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich.
 Brexit referendum stole 3,700,000 Brits votes abroad, inc. 700,000 in EU.