Re: head -r338804 boots threadripper 1950X fine; head -r338810+ do not; -r338807 seems implicated

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 18:43:21 -0700
[I' unable to reproduce the under-Hyper-V early kernel
crash for WITH_ZFS= (implicit) build that includes the
for-loaders patch I was given to try.]

On 2018-Oct-22, at 10:01 AM, Mark Millard <marklm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [I will note the the loader problem has been shown to
> not be involved in the kernel problem that this
> "Subject:" was originally for.]
>
> On 2018-Oct-22, at 9:26 AM, Warner Losh <imp at sdimp.com> wrote:

>>> Looks like I guessed wrong about the device
>>> for "drive8".
>>>
>>> So I unplugged the only other external
>>> storage device, so the original drives
>>> 0-13 become 0-11 overall.
>>>
>>> The machine has a multi-LUN media card reader with
>>> no cards plugged in. It is built-in rather than
>>> one that I plugged into a port. It has 4 LUN's.
>>>
>>> So 8+4=12 and drives 0-7 show up with media before
>>> it tries any of the 4 LUN's with no card in place.
>>>
>>> I conclude that "drive8" is an empty LUN in a media
>>> card reader.
>>>
>>> I conclude that there is no sector size available for
>>> any of the empty LUNs in the media reader.
>>>
>> I think you are probably right and we're hitting some divide by 0 error when we should just ignore the disk.
>
> In the Hyper-V context, the loader and kernel do not
> see the 4-LUN media reader at all: only drives with
> normal freebsd-* style partitions and free space.
> This explains why I did not see a loader problem
> in that context.
>
> So I conclude that the kernel crash under Hyper-V
> associated with -r338807 is a separate issue even
> though WITHOUT_ZFS= seems to have avoided the
> crash.
>
> My plan is to continue with the -r338807 investigation
> after the loader problem is fixed in my builds. Then
> I've go back to trying builds using WITH_ZFS= (implicit),
> both native boots and Hyper-V based ones.

So much for my ability to make that inference correctly:

The WITH_ZFS= (implicit) build worked fine for booting
natively and via Hyper-V when the patch to fix the loaders
was included in what to build. I'm now unable to reproduce
this kernel-time crash.

The patch was from: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D11174

The empty LUN's in the media reader now get messages that
look something like:

disk8: Read 1 sector(s) from 0 to 0xffffe000 (0x8000): 0x31

early in the loader activity.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com