Re: Enabling the WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD knob for 12.0-REL

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 14:52:15 -0400
On 10 September 2018 at 13:57, Rodney W. Grimes
<freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

>> I know a number of developers want to keep the metadata for their own
>> builds at least.
>
> And we do not really know what the users position is on this...

If users are building FreeBSD from source they can set the knob
however they like. Users of our prebuilt binares/releases are the ones
who benefit from reproducible builds, and they're the ones unable to
set it.

> I think there is more discussion to be had before we flip
> this knob anyplace.

I brought this up on -arch in 2015, and gave presentations on
reproducible builds in FreeBSD at BSDCan 2016 and AsiaBSDCon 2017. I
believe we've had ample opportunity to discuss this in the context of
what makes sense in a binary release, but there are still reasonable
open questions about defaults in HEAD.