Re: devmatch sideeffec: No sound

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 11:47:17 +0200
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 07:51:38 +0000
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> HW: Thinkpad T480 with T3 Dock.
>
> SW: -current, r338952
>
> With devmatch enabled in /etc/rc.conf (the default0, snd_uaudio
> gets loaded automatically and finds the audio stuff in the dock,
> which is connected to a screen output(s) I do not use.
>
> Firefox ends up with /dev/dsp2.0 which goes there, and as a result
> I get no sound through the laptops speakers where I expect it.
>
> Obvious workaround: Disable devmatch.

 Warner talked about adding blacklist to devmatch

> Yet to be discovered workaround:  Prioritize sound devices, when
> there are multiple.

 hw.snd.default_unit=XXX
 hw.snd.default_auto=0

 in /etc/sysctl.conf should do the trick.

> This kind of thing may cause some support-work when 12 comes out...

 The only new "issue" is that now with devmatch every hardware got its
driver loaded, so on this case this would cause "problems" but for
other it solve the problem of finding which driver you need to load to
use your usb/pci/blah driver.