Question about 'gptzfsboot'

From: Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 07:31:02 -0400

I have been having gptzfsboot issues with my two laptops since 12.0 was
still CURRENT.  I receive 'error 1' on the first boot most days.

gptzfsboot: error 1 LBA 18446744072709551608
gptzfsboot: error 1 LBA 1
gptzfsboot: No ZFS pools located, can't boot

Most of the time the boot process is successful on my next attempt.
This happens on two different laptops (different manufacturer).
Different hard drives (one mechanical, the other SSD).  Both laptops are
running 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT r346544 GENERIC-NODEBUG.  All
of my desktop computers are running the same version of FreeBSD and
never exhibit this issue.  Is there something unique to a laptop reading
the boot record and looking for a GELI encrypted partition that a
desktop does not?

Tom

--
Public Keys: