Re: CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:19:39 +0300
On 28.04.2019 22:52, kris_at_ixsystems.com wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce a CFT for builds of FreeBSD 12-stable and 13-current
> using "TrueOS-inspired" packaged base. These are stock FreeBSD images which
> will allow users to perform all updating via the 'pkg' command directly.
> Rather than trying to answer all questions in this announcement, we've
> created a FAQ page with more details. Please refer to this page, and let us
> know if you have additional questions that we can include on that page going
> forward.
 Is it too coarse, isn't it?

 I'm not very interested in packetized base for "big servers" which
contains full FreeBSd installation, but I have several NanoBSD
installations, which have more than 100 "WITHOUT_XXX" options in
src.conf. I want to have packetized base to create such images via `pkg'
Not all these options could be converted to packages, options like
WITHOUT_KERBEROS is more build option, but about 2/3 of these options
turn off some file-based features, like sendmail, PPP, toolchain or bzip2.

 IMHO, to be really useful packets in base should be based on these
src.conf options to have ability to skip unneeded "optional" base
components (including, for example, man pages!).

 And one more, not covered with src.conf WITHOUT_XXX: static libraries
and header files, of course!

--
// Lev Serebryakov