RE: CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

From: <kris_at_ixsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 10:50:51 -0400

rgrimes_at_freebsd.org

I think somehow you've missed the entire point here. This is being brought
forth as a FreeBSD CFT in the hopes of upstream adoption. No misleading here
whatsoever. The only thing that I wouldn't expect to be imported into base
was this external tool we use on FreeNAS/TrueOS to handle our specific
use-case of ZFS only. Total strawman here.

Seriously, suggest you bother looking at it and reading further to get the
full context. If anything this is far less invasive since it doesn't require
lots of hacking on base, and can even be used to package old versions of
FreeBSD if desired. The only thing I changed to make these images was a
patch to bsdinstall to replace dist-file extraction with 'pkg install
userland kernel pkg ...'.