Re: Question about 'gptzfsboot'

From: Thomas Laus <lausts_at_acm.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 14:47:01 -0400
On 2019-04-29 14:27, Thomas Laus wrote:
> It was more than a broken console.  All of the other 2 computers that I
> upgraded to r346885 were essentially 'dead'.  I could not even remotely
> login to them via ssh.  All of them required a hard power button reset
> to get into single user mode to let me comment out the rc.conf line that
> loads the DRM driver.  The computer could successfully boot without DRM
> activation but would go to a black console screen again with 'startx'.
> This also required a hard power button shutdown.  I rolled back to
> r346544 and everything worked again like before.
>
> My disastrous update to r346885 included installing a new gptzfsboot and
> pmbr in the drive boot record.  I did not try booting an older kernel
> using the new gptzfsboot.  I was concerned about the lack of ssh login
> when the computers lost their console, so I just rolled back my system
> to the last snapshot made a week ago.

Ian:

I re-activated the r346885 BEADM snapshot and booted from my
'kernel.old' from r346544 and everything came up OK including 'X'.

I don't know what that means.  It might be that I have a DRM issue
instead of a gptzfsboot problem?  Everything except for the kernel is
now running CURRENT r346885.  I am not using the updated
drm-current-kmod because I am using the r346544 kernel.old.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1