Re: rc script: manual stop vs system shutdown

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 11:53:25 -0700
On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 11:15 AM Andriy Gapon, <avg_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 01/08/2019 19:12, Warner Losh wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 10:53 AM Rodney W. Grimes
> > <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net <mailto:freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     >
> >     > Is it possible in an rc script to distinguish between a manual stop
> >     > (e.g., service foo stop) and a stop during a system shutdown (via
> >     > rc.shutdown) ?
> >     > Are there any marker variables for that?
> >     > Or something in the global system state?
> >
> >     Not that I can think of, but I like this idea,
> >     I am sure that use cases exist.
> >

> > What is the use case that needs to disambiguate the two cases...
>
> I have one use case in mind and it's a truly special case.
> I want rc.d/watchdogd to gracefully stop watchdogd and to disable the
> watchdog timer when the stop action is requested manually.  And I want
> it to stop watchdogd and set the watchdog timer to a special shutdown
> timeout during the shutdown.  If the special timeout is configured, of
> course.

A horribly hackish workaround could be to do a "pgrep shutdown" and "pgrep
reboot" and "pgrep halt" in the stop function of the RC script. If one of
those those processes exist, then a system shutdown/reboot is in progress.

Not elegant, but could be workable until something nicer is added.

Cheers,
Freddie

Typos courtesy of my phone's keyboard.