Re: rc script: manual stop vs system shutdown

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 21:14:56 +0300
On 01/08/2019 19:12, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 10:53 AM Rodney W. Grimes
> <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net <mailto:freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>>
> wrote:
>
>     >
>     > Is it possible in an rc script to distinguish between a manual stop
>     > (e.g., service foo stop) and a stop during a system shutdown (via
>     > rc.shutdown) ?
>     > Are there any marker variables for that?
>     > Or something in the global system state?
>
>     Not that I can think of, but I like this idea,
>     I am sure that use cases exist.
>

> What is the use case that needs to disambiguate the two cases...

I have one use case in mind and it's a truly special case.
I want rc.d/watchdogd to gracefully stop watchdogd and to disable the
watchdog timer when the stop action is requested manually.  And I want
it to stop watchdogd and set the watchdog timer to a special shutdown
timeout during the shutdown.  If the special timeout is configured, of
course.

--
Andriy Gapon