Re: rc script: manual stop vs system shutdown

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 13:51:29 -0600
On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 21:14 +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> On 01/08/2019 19:12, Warner Losh wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 1, 2019, 10:53 AM Rodney W. Grimes
> > <freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net <mailto:freebsd-rwg_at_gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     >
> >     > Is it possible in an rc script to distinguish between a manual stop
> >     > (e.g., service foo stop) and a stop during a system shutdown (via
> >     > rc.shutdown) ?
> >     > Are there any marker variables for that?
> >     > Or something in the global system state?
> >
> >     Not that I can think of, but I like this idea,
> >     I am sure that use cases exist.
> >

> > What is the use case that needs to disambiguate the two cases...
>
> I have one use case in mind and it's a truly special case.
> I want rc.d/watchdogd to gracefully stop watchdogd and to disable the
> watchdog timer when the stop action is requested manually.  And I want
> it to stop watchdogd and set the watchdog timer to a special shutdown
> timeout during the shutdown.  If the special timeout is configured, of
> course.

The shutdown timeout is already supported:  you just set '-x <timeout>'
in watchdogd_flags in rc.conf; no changes to the rc.d script needed.

I think probably you don't even need the first part of what you want.
The -x arg covers you in the reboot case; most people probably won't
use it.  But if you are using it, and you want to truly kill the dog,
you would just do "watchdog -t 0" after "service watchdogd stop".  If
you really felt the need to cover that with a single service command,
then how about using "service watchdogd cancel" where the cancel verb
does the -t 0 after killing the daemon?

-- Ian