Re: HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

From: Theron <theron.tarigo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:16:07 -0700
CC _at_current, as I had originally intended.

On 2019-08-14 09:08, John Baldwin wrote:
> 1) You can set LOCALBASE to a different path either in a kernel config
> (via makeoptions) or when invoking buildkernel.
>
> For example, I mount my rpi's sdcard at /mnt on my amd64 laptop and
> then cross-build into it, so I could set LOCALBASE to /mnt/usr/local when
> building the rpi's kernel to honor any kmod packages installed on the rpi.

Normally LOCALBASE is interpreted by ports as the default for PREFIX,
meaning it should be a path _within_ the target system, not the path to
where it is mounted.  There is DESTDIR for that. Now for kernel build
this is not a problem for the reason that LOCALBASE is being used just
to find sources, not to build ports. However, given how that variable is
normally used, it seems like a problem waiting to happen.  It would be
better to use a variable specific to the purpose at hand.

>> How about when I'm doing a build of 11-stable for testing, but what's
>> in my /usr/local is sources for a 13-current driver?
> Given that the kmod's are supposed to be portable across branches,
> the build really shouldn't be breaking. But the same ability is still
> there to as above to disable builds either in general or for
> specific kernel configs or buildkernel invocations.

The concern appears to be that there is no longer a clear way to
separate what base source tree does from what is in the local system's
configuration.  Is there any one single knob to tell /usr/src not to use
any configuration from /usr/local?