Re: HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod now installs sources

From: Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:23:53 +0200
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 10:13:48 -0700
John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 8/14/19 9:22 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
> > This all sounds vaguely wrong, backwards, to me.  A developer who is
> > using a given module on their build system might want that module to be
> > rebuilt automatically, but only if the build parameters match those of
> > the running build host system.
> >
> > If my build host is running freebsd 12 amd64 and I'm doing a build for
> > freebsd 13 armv7, I have no interest in automatic rebuilds of an amd64
> > driver module for a different OS arch and version just because that
> > module happens to be installed on the system I use to do crossbuilds.
> >
> > My objections are theoretical... this automation just seems improperly
> > designed to me.  But it won't actually affect me in any way, because I
> > don't build video driver modules from ports, and I don't run freebsd
> > current on my build host machine.  Probably the number of people doing
> > crossbuilding is small enough that nobody else is going to object to
> > this "the whole world is amd64" automation.
>
> You assume DRM is amd64-only when it is definitely not.  It also has
> suitable guards in its Makefile to only build the relevant kernel
> modules on supported architectures.

 I clearly don't want to spend time to build the drm and radeon modules
when I'm hacking on arm64.
 Shouldn't LOCAL_MODULE have ${TARGET}.${TARGET_ARCH} as a
subdirectory ? So when you install drm-kmod-* it will only install the
source in /usr/local/modules/${TARGET}.${TARGET_ARCH}/ ? (or whatever
the correct dir is).

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu_at_bidouilliste.com> <manu_at_freebsd.org>