Re: Installing drm-current-kmod from ports

From: Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd_at_daemonic.se>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 09:02:23 +0200
On 2019-08-18 04:08, Clay Daniels Jr. wrote:
> I've been reading the HEADSUP: drm-current-kmod thread, actually several
> times, and since my pkg install of plain vanilla drm-kmod was a dud after
> working for several weekly installs of 13.0-Current, it's clear I probably
> need to make install from the ports, which I have installed, as well as the
> sources. I must confess I have done pkg install xorg, but this can be
> corrected if it needs to be make install xorg from ports.
>
> Is simply navigating to /usr/ports/graphics/drm-current-kmod and running
> "make install clean" the best next step, or am I missing something else?
>
> I want to confess my relative ignorance, and thank Graham Perrin & Pete
> Wright for their help on a previous post, 13.0 Current - r350702 exposed an
> Xorg failure. I've moved on to this weeks r351067 and no longer think my
> problem is with Xorg, but with my install of drm-*-kmod.
>
> I'm willing to wipe my install & start fresh if need be. I sure like
> gParted. It erases a lot of sins.

Hi!
drm-kmod should pull in drm-current-kmod if you install it on FreeBSD
CURRENT.  The feature to have sources installed with the port is fairly
recent, it could be that the port hasn't caught up yet.  You can check
in /usr/local/sys/modules/drm-current-kmod if they are installed.  If
they are, it should be enough to run a buildkernel and installkernel to
get the updated modules.

Otherwise, it's completely safe to install drm-current-kmod (and
gpu-firmware-kmod, which is a dependency) from ports, even if the rest
of the system is installed using packages.

Regards
--
Niclas