Re: Installing drm-current-kmod from ports

From: Clay Daniels Jr. <clay.daniels.jr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 15:59:34 -0500
Graham, thanks for the reply. Since my original post on this thread last
night, I went through the make install clean of the drm-current-kmod port.
It didn't take too long, probably half an hour or so. It gave an exit
message to put a line in /etc/rc.donf: kld_list="amdgpu" , which I did,
rebooted and the same problem. I tried the complete path:
kls_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"  but the same problem. I know that it's
part of discovery of my Radeon/Kabini video it suddenly shows a "wide fuzzy
line", right there in the console. The console message reads like I may
have permissions issues, but that can't be true, because if I specify the
older radeokms.ko it tries to load it and then hangs. So i have the right
module.

But what you just said about installing the xf86-video-ati sounds like good
advice. The console error message is in /var/log/Xorg.0.~ and complains
about being unable to load an "ati" module. I bet this might do it. My
rather old computer is an HP Pavilion 23 all-in-one built & bought in 2014
with an AMD E2-3000 cpu with Radeon HD video. It's all clamped in a plastic
frame and I've never looked inside myself. I intend to buy buy a new
computer, and it will be in a tower case that you can easily get into,
maybe with a clear glass or plastic side. I like to see the lights blink.
And I have my heart set on a Threadripper...

OK, I'm going to log off, re-boot into my FreeBSD partition, and try to
install xf86-video-ati, probably from the ports, under graphics I guess.

Thanks a lot,
Clay