Re: HELP: UEFI/ZFS Boot failure: Ignoring Boot000A: Only one DP found

From: Karl Denninger <karl_at_denninger.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 15:58:24 -0500

> Am Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:34:21 +0300
> Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com> schrieb:
>
> >> On 21 Aug 2019, at 22:30, O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:

> manually? you should have

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I can't even stop to gain access to the shell; there is no
> timeframe to hit any key to
> >> stop by and access the efi shell.
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >> oh
>

> > hm? efi shell should be available from boot device menu, so you
> mean, you can not even get
> > into firmware setup?
>
> > rgds,
> > toomas
>
> Sorry,
> I confused loader prompt and EFI shell.
>
> I do not have a EFI shell on that type of laptop, not to know about
> it. I can access the
> firmware setup and already performed a reset and switched back to
> default settings. No effect.
>
> I just downloaded the newest CURRENT mem stick and extracted both
> boot1.efi and loader.efi and
> installed those into the ESP as described, setting the efibootmgr env
> accordingly. Still the
> same error.
>
> It seems that there is indeed no EFI/UEFI shell. There are Lenovo
> specific EFI boot options,
> like "diagnostics" and so on, if selected, the UEFI boots into a
> firmware embedded diagnostic
> menu. I tried several from the list given via efibootmgr show -v, but
> there is no shell from
> which I could access/boot an alternative loader.
>
> How I'm supposed to achive the access to this EFI shell? I doubt that
> on the E540 (beware of
> the E, it is not a L or T model) does have such a shell.
>
> Regards,
> oh

I would see if you can get REFIND loaded and use that.  I have a Lenovo
X1 Carbon Gen 6 and that's the answer I used, as it allows multi-boot
(e.g. Win10 and FreeBSD) easily.

I've not had trouble with 12.x on it, and I do use the
geli-encrypted-aware loader.efi.....

If there's a way to get into the EFI shell on Lenovo's laptops from the
BIOS during the boot I've not found it yet.  There's supposed to be on
all EFI devices, but you know how "supposed to" works in many cases, right?

--
Karl Denninger
karl_at_denninger.net <mailto:karl_at_denninger.net>