Re: HELP: UEFI/ZFS Boot failure: Ignoring Boot000A: Only one DP found

From: O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 23:23:07 +0200

Am Wed, 21 Aug 2019 15:58:24 -0500
Karl Denninger <karl_at_denninger.net> schrieb:

> > manually? you should have

> > timeframe to hit any key to

> > > hm? efi shell should be available from boot device menu, so you
> > mean, you can not even get
> > > into firmware setup?
> >
> > > rgds,
> > > toomas
> >
> > Sorry,
> > I confused loader prompt and EFI shell.
> >
> > I do not have a EFI shell on that type of laptop, not to know about
> > it. I can access the
> > firmware setup and already performed a reset and switched back to
> > default settings. No effect.
> >
> > I just downloaded the newest CURRENT mem stick and extracted both
> > boot1.efi and loader.efi and
> > installed those into the ESP as described, setting the efibootmgr env
> > accordingly. Still the
> > same error.
> >
> > It seems that there is indeed no EFI/UEFI shell. There are Lenovo
> > specific EFI boot options,
> > like "diagnostics" and so on, if selected, the UEFI boots into a
> > firmware embedded diagnostic
> > menu. I tried several from the list given via efibootmgr show -v, but
> > there is no shell from
> > which I could access/boot an alternative loader.
> >
> > How I'm supposed to achive the access to this EFI shell? I doubt that
> > on the E540 (beware of
> > the E, it is not a L or T model) does have such a shell.
> >
> > Regards,
> > oh
>
> I would see if you can get REFIND loaded and use that.  I have a Lenovo
> X1 Carbon Gen 6 and that's the answer I used, as it allows multi-boot
> (e.g. Win10 and FreeBSD) easily.

mmmhhh, Linux software to make FreeBSD boot? ;-)

> I've not had trouble with 12.x on it, and I do use the
> geli-encrypted-aware loader.efi.....

Until today I also did not have any trouble. In Novmeber 2018 I installed 12-CURRENT (or
12-RC) with a ZFS filesystem on a new SSD and everything worked fine - until today, when I was
so insane to copy the most recent 12-STABLE loader.efi into the ESP and adjusted the efiboot
vartiable accordingly.

This Lenovo firmware seems very reluctant or the efibootmgr doesn't operate properly on
setting variables: when trying to label the boot number (e.g. Boot000A) with "-L FreeBSD", it
is always set back to "Boot000A ATA HDD0". On other platforms, like Fujitsu servers or even
the cheap crap from ASRock a label once set is permenent until deleted.

> If there's a way to get into the EFI shell on Lenovo's laptops from the
> BIOS during the boot I've not found it yet.  There's supposed to be on
> all EFI devices, but you know how "supposed to" works in many cases, right?

I havn't tested all options available by setting the current boot number to those entries
predefined by Lenovo, but setting Boot0003 (I recall ...) gives a really funny diagnostics
menu with lots of options. Maybe there is more to discover ...

Thanks anyway, but I have to postpone the efforts until tomorrow evening ...
Regards
oh

- --
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder Übermittlung meiner Daten für
Werbezwecke oder für die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (§ 28 Abs. 4 BDSG).