Re: HELP: UEFI/ZFS Boot failure: Ignoring Boot000A: Only one DP found

From: <greg_at_unrelenting.technology>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:29:29 +0000
August 22, 2019 12:23 AM, "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:

> Am Wed, 21 Aug 2019 15:58:24 -0500
> Karl Denninger <karl_at_denninger.net> schrieb:
>
>> I would see if you can get REFIND loaded and use that.  I have a Lenovo
>> X1 Carbon Gen 6 and that's the answer I used, as it allows multi-boot
>> (e.g. Win10 and FreeBSD) easily.
>
> mmmhhh, Linux software to make FreeBSD boot? ;-)

rEFInd is not "Linux software", I use it to get a nice menu to choose between FreeBSD and Windows on my desktop. No Linux in sight. If anything, rEFInd has its roots in Macs :)

> This Lenovo firmware seems very reluctant or the efibootmgr doesn't operate properly on
> setting variables: when trying to label the boot number (e.g. Boot000A) with "-L FreeBSD", it
> is always set back to "Boot000A ATA HDD0". On other platforms, like Fujitsu servers or even
> the cheap crap from ASRock a label once set is permenent until deleted.

Many laptops just ignore the boot variables outright. My X240 is the same.
I never switched to a proper efibootmgr setup on mine, I just have loader.efi as bootx64.efi and that's it.

>> If there's a way to get into the EFI shell on Lenovo's laptops from the
>> BIOS during the boot I've not found it yet.  There's supposed to be on
>> all EFI devices, but you know how "supposed to" works in many cases, right?

You can just download the EFI Shell from the internet, it's a normal .efi executable you can "boot". Put it as efi/boot/bootx64.efi onto a USB flash drive and enjoy.