Re: HELP: UEFI/ZFS Boot failure: Ignoring Boot000A: Only one DP found

From: O. Hartmann <o.hartmann_at_walstatt.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 03:11:05 -0000

Am Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:29:29 +0000
greg_at_unrelenting.technology schrieb:

> August 22, 2019 12:23 AM, "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:
>
> > Am Wed, 21 Aug 2019 15:58:24 -0500
> > Karl Denninger <karl_at_denninger.net> schrieb:
> >
> >> I would see if you can get REFIND loaded and use that.  I have a Lenovo
> >> X1 Carbon Gen 6 and that's the answer I used, as it allows multi-boot
> >> (e.g. Win10 and FreeBSD) easily.
> >
> > mmmhhh, Linux software to make FreeBSD boot? ;-)
>
> rEFInd is not "Linux software", I use it to get a nice menu to choose between FreeBSD and
> Windows on my desktop. No Linux in sight. If anything, rEFInd has its roots in Macs :)

My apologizes; when searching the net, the first "logo" I see is this silly penguine face. I'm
sorry about making such simple implications.

> > This Lenovo firmware seems very reluctant or the efibootmgr doesn't operate properly on
> > setting variables: when trying to label the boot number (e.g. Boot000A) with "-L FreeBSD",
> > it is always set back to "Boot000A ATA HDD0". On other platforms, like Fujitsu servers or
> > even the cheap crap from ASRock a label once set is permenent until deleted.
>
> Many laptops just ignore the boot variables outright. My X240 is the same.
> I never switched to a proper efibootmgr setup on mine, I just have loader.efi as bootx64.efi
> and that's it.

I tried copying loader.efi as bootx64.efi - but didn't help.

> >> If there's a way to get into the EFI shell on Lenovo's laptops from the
> >> BIOS during the boot I've not found it yet.  There's supposed to be on
> >> all EFI devices, but you know how "supposed to" works in many cases, right?
>
> You can just download the EFI Shell from the internet, it's a normal .efi executable you can
> "boot". Put it as efi/boot/bootx64.efi onto a USB flash drive and enjoy.

I'll give this a chance as soon I have hands on the workitem again.

Regards,

oh

- --
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder Übermittlung meiner Daten für
Werbezwecke oder für die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (§ 28 Abs. 4 BDSG).