Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:35:25 -0800 (PST)
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 03:04:41PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> >

> > On 2019-Feb-17, at 10:03, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have insight into what evdev is?  There appears to
> > be no manual page.  When I reboot a system with custom
> > kernel, the system is autoloading evdev.ko, uhid.ko, and
> > wmt.ko.  I do not need nor what these modules loaded.
> > How does one prevent this autoloading?
> >
> > Looking via the web lead to:
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
web lies

> > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=evdev&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+12.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
> > So:
> >
> > NAME
> >        evdev - Generic Linux input driver
> >
> > DESCRIPTION
> >
> > 	evdev is an Xorg input driver for Linux's generic event devices. It
> > 	therefore supports all input  devices  that  the kernel	 knows about,
> > 	including most mice, keyboards, tablets and touchscreens. evdev
> > 	is the default driver on the major Linux distributions.
> > . . .
> >

> > but it seems to not have a 13-current entry. It does have
> > a 12.0-RELEASE entry.
> >

> Thanks.  Kinda odd that freebsd-current doesn't have a manual
> page, but FreeBSD-12 does.

rgrimes_at_t400:~ % man evdev
No manual entry for evdev
rgrimes_at_t400:~ % man -k evdev
apropos: nothing appropriate
rgrimes_at_t400:~ % uname -a
FreeBSD t400.dnsmgr.net 12.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE GENERIC  amd64
rgrimes_at_t400:~ %
There is no man page for evdev in 12.0-RELEASE

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org