Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 16:24:55 -0800
On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 03:04:41PM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:

> On 2019-Feb-17, at 10:03, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> Anyone have insight into what evdev is?  There appears to
> be no manual page.  When I reboot a system with custom
> kernel, the system is autoloading evdev.ko, uhid.ko, and
> wmt.ko.  I do not need nor what these modules loaded.
> How does one prevent this autoloading?
>
> Looking via the web lead to:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=evdev&apropos=0&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+12.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
> So:
>
> NAME
>        evdev - Generic Linux input driver
>
> DESCRIPTION
>
> 	evdev is an Xorg input driver for Linux's generic event devices. It
> 	therefore supports all input  devices  that  the kernel	 knows about,
> 	including most mice, keyboards, tablets and touchscreens. evdev
> 	is the default driver on the major Linux distributions.
> . . .
>

> but it seems to not have a 13-current entry. It does have
> a 12.0-RELEASE entry.

Thanks.  Kinda odd that freebsd-current doesn't have a manual
page, but FreeBSD-12 does.

I have a wireless logitech mouse.  It seems that the
wireless USB dongle is causing the load of the modules.
I still understand why as ums(4) does not should a
dependency on uhid, wmt, or evdev.

--
Steve
20170425 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWUpyCsUKR4