Re: What is evdev and autoloading?

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 08:38:22 -0800
On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 04:56:57PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 07:12:24AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > Sadly your execution on that seems to be missing the mark,
> > telling people they have to go get a port now to get drm working
> > because it could not be maintained in base, and then telling them,
> > oh, you need this new code in base so that it is so much easier
> > to use graphical stuff this way.
> >
> > These seem to be conflicting stories.
> >
> You are missing the point, one does not evolve as fast as the other, meaning
> one can be maintained within usual freebsd lifecycle, the other cannot or it
> becomes very painful.

And you seem to be missing the point.  I'm now in week two of
trying to figure out why drm-legacy-kmod no longer works, and
suddenly new devices are popping up which are not configured
in my kernel.

I have deleted all ports.  I have delete /usr/src and /usr/obj.
I used svn to pull a -r "{2019-01-01}" /usr/src.  That builds
and works fine.  I then build the minimum ports needs to install
drm-legacy-kmod and xorg.  I can fire a fvwm2 desktop.  I'm now
up to -r "{2019-01-28}".  Yes, bi-section be date.  It takes 6-7
hours to rebuild world and kernel and another hour or 2 for the
minimum set of ports.

PS: It still does answer why there isn't a manual page for evdev.

--
steve